DISCLOSURE: My articles may contain affiliate links. To click on those links, you won’t be charged any extra cost, instead, you help me to get some small commissions to maintain my blog. Thanks for understanding!
Ho Chi Minh to Mui Ne is one of the most common travel routes for tourists traveling to Vietnam.
After exploring the bustling city of Ho Chi Minh for some time, you might want to experience nature. Mui Ne is one of the most popular destinations after HCMC, known for its beautiful stretches of sand dunes and beachside resorts.
So, how do you travel from HCMC to Mui Ne? Is a sleeper bus or a train better? Let’s find out in this post.
Table of Contents
Ho Chi Minh to Mui Ne: By sleeper bus
Ticket price: about 230.000 – 250.000 VND
Travel time: 4.5 – 5 hrs
Sleeper bus Saigon – Mui Ne’s schedule:
- Futa bus (Phuong Trang bus): 6:30 AM, 8:30 AM, 11:00 AM, 1:00 PM, 5:00 PM, 7:00 PM, 10:30 PM, 11:00 PM
- Hanh Cafe: 8:30 AM, 9:45 AM, 10:30 AM, 8:00 PM, 10:15 PM, 11:00 PM,
How to travel from Saigon to Mui Ne by sleeper bus?
Step 1: Buy the bus tickets
There are 3 ways to buy tickets:
- Buy online via this link : The pick-up point is shown in the e-voucher.
- Buy at the operator’s office: You can purchase tickets at the Futa bus’s ticket office, located at 205 Pham Ngu Lao Street (opposite 23 September Park). They also provide a free minivan transfer from their office to the Western bus station, from which you can catch a bus to Mui Ne.
- Buy at Ben Xe Mien Tay (Western Bus Station)
Reliable operators: Futa (Phuong Trang bus), Hanh Cafe
➡ The tickets can be purchased via this link.
Step 2: Go to the bus station or operator’s office to take the bus to Mui Ne.
Each operator picks up and drops off at different locations; some of them offer a free minivan service from/to your hotel. You need to check with them beforehand.
- Most of them don’t speak English; you need to use Google Translate.
- Most buses in Vietnam don’t have a toilet. They often make stops at local restaurants where you can use the toilet for free or purchase food.
- Some buses don’t allow eating on board.
- If you are over 2 meters tall, a sleeper bus might not be a good choice because the beds are short and small.
- Expect some delays when traveling by bus.
I purchased my bus ticket at the Futa office located at 205 Pham Ngu Lao Street. This was my first experience with the Futa bus, but it wasn’t pleasant. The driver was a little rude; he shouted at foreign customers because they didn’t understand him. On a positive note, the bus was in good condition.
I also took the Futa bus from Dalat to Nha Trang, and the experience was very positive. The staff and driver were very professional and friendly.
In conclusion, I think Futa is an affordable and reliable operator that offers numerous routes across Vietnam, but the service quality is not consistent
Ho Chi Minh to Mui Ne: By train
If you travel by train, there is no direct train from HCMC to Mui Ne. Instead, the train stops at Phan Thiet train station, and from there, you will need to take a bus, taxi, or motorbike taxi to reach Mui Ne.
Ticket price from HCMC to Phan Thiet: from 220.000-250.000 VND/person/way
Travel time: 4.5 – 5 hrs
How to travel from Saigon to Mui Ne by train?
Step 1: Buy the tickets at the train station or online via this link.
There are 2 types of tickets: Soft seats and 4-bed cabins. Soft seats are slightly cheaper than the other option.
You should buy tickets 2 days in advance if traveling on weekends or at least a week in advance during holidays.
Step 2: Board the train to Phan Thiet train station.
- The train is usually on time unless there was an incident due to a storm, flooding, or a traffic accident.
- You should arrive at the train station at least 10 minutes before the departure time.
- There are toilets available on the train, but the sanitation is not very clean.
- Some trains are old and dirty.
- They also sell food on the train, such as banh mi, rice, porridge, eggs, local specialties, water, and more. Prices are slightly higher than outside.
Step 3: Go to Mui Ne from Phan Thiet train station
There are 3 ways to go from Phan Thiet train station to Mui Ne
- By local bus: From Phan Thiet train station, you can take the red bus No. 9 to Mui Ne. The bus route goes to Ganh Mui Ne (Google Maps) and makes stops along the way at Nguyen Dinh Chieu Street, Huynh Thuc Khang Street, Ho Xuan Huong Street, and more. The bus fare is 40,000 VND per person each way.
- By Grab bike: If you are traveling solo with little luggage, taking a Grab bike is convenient and affordable. The fare for a Grab bike ride is about 100,000 VND (approximately 4-5 USD).
Grab is an app in Vietnam similar to Uber, offering both car and motorbike taxi services (Grab car and Grab bike). Link to download Grab: Click here
- By Grab car: Traveling from Phan Thiet train station to Mui Ne by Grab car costs about 300,000 to 400,000 VND per way for a 4-seater car.
Ho Chi Minh to Mui Ne: Is a sleeper bus or a train better?
|Travel time||4.5 – 5 hrs||4.5 – 5 hrs|
|Comfort||Wobbles sometimes||Runs smoothly, but is noisy|
|Safety||More chance of traffic accident||Less chance of traffic accident|
|Convenience||Go directly to Mui Ne||Have to take another bus/taxi to reach Mui Ne|
|Cleanliness||Most buses are well-maintained & clean||Some trains are old & dirty|
|Total cost||230.000 – 250.000 VND||220.000-250.000 VND plus the bus/taxi fare to Mui Ne|
Based on the table above, it’s clear that traveling from Ho Chi Minh to Mui Ne by sleeper bus is a better option in terms of cost, convenience, and cleanliness. However, if you’re concerned about safety, trains are much safer than buses due to a lower chance of accidents.
Speaking about comfort, trains run pretty smoothly but are a little noisy. Meanwhile, buses tend to wobble, which can easily cause motion sickness.
Other ways to travel from Saigon to Mui Ne
If you don’t have budget constraints, renting a private transfer from HCMC to Mui Ne is much more convenient and comfortable, especially when traveling with kids or senior citizens.
A one-way transfer from HCMC to Mui Ne costs about 1,800,000 VND (approximately 73 USD), and a round-trip same-day transfer is priced at 2,950,000 VND (around 121 USD).
You can book a car via This link (enter code DL6KGF to get 5 USD OFF)
There are many affordable day tours and multi-day tours to Mui Ne from HCMC. You can consider This operator, which has received a lot of positive reviews.
So this is the guide to travel from HCMC to Mui Ne by sleeper bus and by train. I hope this post is helpful to you. If you have any questions, feel free to comment below.
Thanks for reading!
1. What is the bus schedule from Mui Ne to Saigon?
There are many bus operators that offer Saigon-Mui Ne routes. If you go to the bus station, you’ll surely find buses running every hour. Below are the schedules for Futa bus (Phuong Trang bus):
Futa bus: 1:00 AM, 2:00 AM, 7:00 AM, 9:00 AM, 11:00 AM, 1:00 PM, 1:30 PM, 3:30 PM, 4:00 PM, 7:00 PM, 11:00 PM
2. How to go from Ho Chi Minh Airport to Mui Ne?
Tan Son Nhat Airport is the international airport in Ho Chi Minh City.
From TSN airport, you can take a private transfer to Mui Ne. The cost is about 1.370.000 VND/way for a 4-seater car (equal to 56 USD). Check out the price and availability: Click here.